Grant management for academic and clinical researchers

This guide is for the recipients of a Research project grant or a Research Training Fellowship.

All of our grants are now managed through the online Grants Management System.

For grants awarded from December 2017 (grant references prefixed RPGF) you will have applied via the online Grants Management System and should use those login details to manage your grant.

For grants awarded before December 2017 (you will have a grant reference with a prefix of R) your grant has been transferred to the online Grants Management System and an account created for you. If you did not receive the communication regarding this or are unsure of your login details, please contact us.

How do I claim my grant?

Please note that we make payments during the first week of the month. Any requests for reimbursement should therefore be submitted no later than the 25th of the preceding month.

My grant was awarded prior to December 2017

You should continue to submit quarterly financial statements using this form (.docx). Your university finance department may submit an invoice, but this must be accompanied by a completed financial statement.

My grant was awarded in or after December 2017

For grants awarded from December 2017, you will need to make your claim via the online Grants Management System. Please ensure that you download these instructions (.pdf) and pass them to the finance officer you named on your application.


How do I advise you of changes to my project or its resourcing?

We appreciate that as projects progress, changes need to be made, for example to the methodology or to the composition of the research team. We encourage you strongly to let us know of any changes as soon as possible, rather than waiting for the next reporting period. We’ve listed below some of the frequent queries which are raised. Please note that all requests for a change to the grant must be made by the named Principal Investigator.

I need to make a change to the methodology

We appreciate that as a project progresses, there might need to be changes to how the data are collected or processed. So long as there are no fundamental changes to the project, there should be no problem in this being approved.

Changes to the named researcher

Should the named researcher need to take a leave of absence, or advise that they are leaving the project, then, depending on the circumstances, the grant can either be halted until a replacement researcher has been recruited or we can allow the grant to continue with temporary personnel to ensure that the work can continue. Please note that we do not pay maternity pay.

I need to request a virement between budget headings

We recognise that the budget provided in the application was a forecast and that funds may need to be moved between budget headings. However, requests must be made in advance to ensure that there is no delay when processing the quarterly expenditure claim. Please email your allocated grants officer detailing the amount to be vired and the reasons why the request is being made.

May I apply for a costed extension?

In very occasional circumstances a request for additional funds for a grant will be considered. This is usually due to a discovery made during the project that warrants further investigation, which will add to or confirm the findings of the project. It is not possible to request additional funds due to over-spending or to extend the grant whilst further sources of funding are obtained.

May I apply for a “no cost” extension?

 So long as there are sufficient funds available for the additional period, most requests for a “no cost” extension are granted. Please email your allocated grants officer with your request, providing details of the duration, the reasons why more time is required and what work will be undertaken. If the reason for the extension relates to the recruitment of study participants, please also see the further guidance below.

Where can I obtain assistance with recruiting participants to my project?

DMT is a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) non-commercial Partner. This means the studies that we fund may be eligible to access NIHR Clinical Research Network (CRN) support. If your study involves the NHS or NHS patients, we expect you to apply, where appropriate, for NIHR CRN support and subsequent inclusion in the NIHR CRN Portfolio of studies to fully benefit from the support that the CRN offers through their Study Support Service. To find out more, please visit     If your project involves research in care homes then the NIHR Enabling Research in Care Homes (EnRICH) network offers practical advice, resources and guidance and maintains a list of research-ready care homes. To find out more, please visit

How do I tell you about the progress I am making with my project?

The terms of your award set out your reporting requirements.   We normally require you to provide a yearly scientific update on how your project is progressing, with a final report falling due three months after the end of the grant.

Before commencing your project, you will have agreed a payment and reporting schedule, which details when you need to submit your progress and final report. You will receive a reminder by email one month prior to the report due date. The email will contain a link to the report in the online portal which you will need to complete by the agreed date.

The purpose of the progress report is to allow you to update us on how the project is progressing, and any changes or difficulties that you have encountered.

The final report is more in depth and allows you to report more fully on the findings of your project and any follow-on funding or new developments that might arise from your Work.

We warmly welcome hearing from you at any time about the impact arising from your work and there will be space within the reporting templates for you to do so.  We will, however, in common with other funding bodies, now be collecting details of the outputs resulting from your work via an annual Researchfish submission.

Collecting output and impact information via Researchfish

From autumn 2018, we will be using Researchfish to collect information about your project’s outputs and impact.  The first submission period has been scheduled for early 2019. Researchers with projects that are sufficiently underway (i.e. one year or more into the grant) will be asked to make a submission using this tool. We will continue to ask you for information up to three years after your project ends.

How do I tell you about the impact and outputs from my grant between reporting periods?

We warmly welcome updates on how your project is progressing, for example, conferences or meetings where you are presenting your work or other public engagement and we like to feature your successes in the Our Work in Action section on our website. If you are using social media, we ask that all tweets include the @DunhillMedical Twitter handle and that any literature (brochures, flyers, leaflets) and conference presentations include our logo and acknowledgment of our funding. Please read our Guide to Acknowledgement of Funding Support in Research Publications and the Media. Our logo can be obtained by emailing your grants officer or
I have had a paper accepted for publication, what do you need to know and can I claim for the open access fees?

We welcome being informed of any publications at any point during your grant. Please do ensure that:

  • you have linked the paper to your Dunhill Medical Trust grant on Europe PubMed Central (EPMC).*
  • you have acknowledged the Trust in line with our acknowledgment guidelines.
  • you send us either the link to the paper if it has been published in open access format or a copy of the paper if it is still embargoed.

*Europe PubMed Central (EPMC) is the Trust’s repository for all peer reviewed publications arising from our grants. If you need any help the EPMC helpdesk is very good and can be reached on 01937 546699 or by e-mailing

If you have any papers subject to embargo, only the abstract will show unless the reader has a subscription for the journal. Do please note that even if you provide your grant reference number as part of the publisher’s manuscript submission process, there is no automatic linkage of your paper to your grant on EPMC and you must make this link yourself.

We have available a fund which enables us to provide an additional amount to help you to meet open access fees.  Funding will be provided on a sliding scale dependent on the value of the grant. Please see the Trust’s Open Access policy for more details. In the first instance, though, we ask that claims for open access fees are made as part of your normal grant expenditure claim. If there is an under-spend at the end of your grant, then this will be used to cover the open access costs that have been incurred. If there is no under-spend, then you will be allowed to claim an additional sum from the fund to cover these costs as detailed in the Open Access policy.

Grants Management System

Policy and Governance documents

View and download the supporting policy documents

The Dunhill Medical Trust
5th Floor
6 New Bridge Street
London EC4V 6AB

Telephone: 020 7403 3299